Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Waiting for God

           I sometimes get weary of waiting for God to make things right.  There is a lot of suffering in this world and it seems to me that if God wanted to alleviate it, it wouldn't be much of a problem to wipe it all out.  The problem with that is that I am a part of the suffering in the world.  I certainly have adequate food and shelter, I have clothing to fit and warm me and a place to sleep.  I also have a wife who loves me and puts up with me and all that I do.  It isn't easy for her sometimes.  I know that she gets tired of my foibles.  But she is always there for me.  I also have daughters who love both of us and make sure that we know it.  So I am really blessed.

           But there are many others who have nothing.  This world is full of people in the pain of poverty, lack of relationships, and no real way out.  We have a lot of private charities that pump millions of dollars into trying to make much of it right, but we face an overwhelming problem.  I am reminded of the story of the man walking along the beach who saw many, many starfish washed up on the shore.  He picked one of them up, looked at it and threw it back into the surf.  The person who was walking with him said, "that doesn't do much to solve this problem", and the man replied, "it solves it for that starfish!"  Rather than attempting to fix all of our problem with poverty and want, maybe it is up to each of us to try to make a difference for the poverty that we find among us every day.

           Jesus told us to love our neighbor as a person like ourselves.  I think that God has presented us with the means to solve the problem of poverty and want in this world.  The solution is each of us.   When we simply open our eyes to what is happening around us, we can find many places where our help is not only needed, but welcomed.  Our problem is that we are overwhelmed by the difficulty and we keep waiting for someone else to solve it.  We want the government or the charities, or anyone to throw money and effort at taking care of the millions of people who have absolutely nothing.   These organizations have a significant place in making things work, but their efforts aren't enough.

           What is necessary is the concern of each of us as we go through our day to be sure that we do what we can for the people whom we meet along the way who have needs.  This isn't easy.  Sometimes we will feel that we are intruding in other people's lives, but the reality is that our intrusion is helpful.  Even when we overstep, our efforts are often appreciated.  Giving of our selves is an elegant present to the world.  In Matthew 25, when Jesus talks about the separation of the sheep and the goats, he tells his listeners that when he was hungry they fed him, when he was thirsty, they gave him drink and when he was in prison, they visited him.  They asked him, "when did we do these things?"  He said to them, "whenever you did this for anyone in need, you did it for me."  That is our mission, and it is also how God enters the pain of this world.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent message. Seems so easy to do just a little to make the world a better place, but for some reason for too many of us, it never happens. Or, happens only when it is convenient for us. One of the signs I have on my desk at work is "Who can I add value to today?" I probably should expand that view outside of the workplace as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete