Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Exalted Humility

        Judgement is easy for most of us.  We do it a lot as we go through our day.  I am critical of the way that other people drive; whether they go too slow or too fast; or if they cut me off or beat me to a coveted parking place.  I love to watch people who are around me.  It is easy to wonder at the clothes that they wear; the way that they use their cell phones in public, or the way that they speak to their kids.  Generally, my judgments stay within me; it is not often that I am arrogant enough to voice them to anyone around me.  Sometimes, in the car on the way home, I will comment about someone to my wife, but mostly, I keep silent. 

         I am not pleased by this behavior of mine.  I think it is not a good reflection of who I am, and I try to not do it so much.  I try to watch my own driving and not be so critical of the people who share the road with me.  I think that we would have a better world if we were all able to be less critical of each other.  I am mindful of the passage in Luke 18 where Jesus tells the parable of the two men who when up to the temple to pray.  One of them was a Pharisee and the other a Tax Collector. The Pharisee prayed Thank God, I am not like other men, particularly that tax collector.  The Tax Collector simply prayed, God, be merciful to me, a sinner.  Jesus went on to ask his listeners, I tell you that this man went down to his home justified, rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.

           That isn't what I seem to do most of the time, so I generally need to be humbled.  I don't like that, but when I assess myself, it is certainly true.  I think it is also true for most of us.  What a wonderful world it would be if we were all able to look at our sinfulness and acknowledge it and live in the exorbitant wonder of the forgiveness of God for each of us, just as we are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment