Tuesday, May 21, 2013

God's Presence in the Middle of Suffering


            I heard a young clergyman preach a sermon about the Trinity on Trinity Sunday a number of years ago at the beautiful cathedral in Coventry, England where we were visiting.  It was a good sermon, one of the best that I have heard from a preacher trying to explain the unexplainable.  I resolved that day never to preach on Trinity Sunday, at least never to try to explain what I don’t understand.  From that moment on, I always had my assistants preach on Trinity Sunday.  I always enjoyed listening to them. 

            In a sense, all of our religion is unexplainable.  Who can even try to interpret the resurrection of Jesus the Christ.  It certainly makes no sense in any factual way.  There have been those who have tried to prove it through the centuries, but that has never worked.  It is much easier to disprove.  Who has ever seen a resurrection?  There isn’t any reason at all to believe in it.  But reason is not what we are after here.  Faith is the only thing that matters, not even belief, which for me always seems tied to doctrine.   Faith is what draws us close to our God.  That out of all of the wonders and wreckage that humanity and religion is and has created, God reigns.  That is, I think, all that we need to know about what God is about in this world. 

            But this is a difficult world.  As I write this, a tornado has devastated Moore, Oklahoma and many people have been killed and injured.  Particularly a grade school was inundated and destroyed.  Workers are trying to recover bodies and find any survivors who might remain in the wreckage of the building.  Parents are stunned and the whole community grieves.  It is in this context that we look for God’s presence and comfort.  The comfort comes from each of us when we encounter situations like this.  We do what we can to bring hope and comfort in the middle of unbelievable pain.  God is present in the pain.  I am reminded of Jesus’ words on the cross:  My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?  These are the words that tell me of God’s presence in our most horrible moments. 
           
            The devastation doesn’t have to be as terrible as what the city of Moore is experiencing.  Sometimes in our lives, the loss of income or our health, or the death of loved ones can be as overwhelming to us.  Where is God in these terrible moments of our lives?  Where is the Holy Spirit, our comforter who Jesus promised to send to us?  Where was God when Jesus called out to him on the cross?  It is only in the moments of my absolute devastation that I know that the Holy Spirit is present.  It certainly isn’t in the good times, when I can take care of myself without any help from anyone.  My self-sufficiency is one of the clearest barriers to the presence of God that exists.  Only when that falls away is it possible for God to somehow penetrate my hardened soul.

            When my brain tumor was diagnosed, I lived in a state of quiet anxiety.  The doctors prescribed a treatment that involved radical surgery, to remove the tumor and provide some kind of rehabilitation.  It was only on the operating table, right before the anesthetic was given to me that a remarkable calm penetrated my body.  I knew then that whatever happened that day, whatever the outcome, I would be all right.  That wasn’t much comfort to my family who all waited for me, but it was a deep touch of God for me.  After the surgery, it took several years for me to recover completely, with the help of a remarkable family and community of faithful people, but from the moment of that touch of the divine, I knew the ending.  I have kept that moment with me from that time forward.  God came to me in the middle of my devastation to give me hope.  That was not a promise of anything other than presence.  I knew that at the time. 

            That to me is the essence of faith.  Faith is not about outcome, it is about presence.  It is about God’s touch at every moment, whether I am aware of it or not.  With the love of my family, I don’t need anything more.

1 comment: