Monday, September 25, 2017

Living In Love

         
            When I got out of the army, I tried to go back to the radio station where I had been working before I was drafted.  They didn’t only want a disc jockey, they also wanted me to be an engineer so that they could easily fulfil the Federal Communication Commission’s requirement for every station to have qualified engineers as well as announcers on their staff.  I would have had to go to a special school for several weeks and get a certificate.  I didn’t want to do this, so I told Rosie that I was going to apply to a television station for employment as an announcer.  She told me that they better pay me more than the radio station had paid me.  I went off to audition.  Fortunately, I got the job and came back and told her of my fortune and of the considerable increase in salary that accompanied it.  I loved that work.  It was back before the days of teleprompters, so I had to memorize all of the commercials; and I learned to do the weather there. 

            Working has always been important to me.  I have enjoyed all of the careers that I have chosen.    When the last TV station that employed me went bankrupt in the early seventies, I spoke to the bishop of Pittsburgh about being an Episcopal priest.  He was enthusiastic about that and made sure that I was enrolled in Virginia Seminary that September.  I did well in the seminary, graduated and was ordained.  I have loved this profession, serving a number of churches and meeting some of the best people that I could ever have known. 

            In Matthew’s gospel, Jesus is trying to describe the Kingdom of Heaven to his listeners. He tells them that it is like a landowner who goes out in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard.  He agrees with them on a daily wage.  He then goes out several more times and hires more laborers each time.  At the end of the day, he pays them all the same wage that he agreed to pay those who were hired first.  The early workers were upset and complained that they ought to be paid more.  The landowner pointed out to them that they had agreed when they were hired to be paid what they received.  He told them that he ought to be able to do as he pleased with his own money.  He finished this comment by saying the last shall be first and the first will be last.
This is Jesus’ description of the Kingdom of Heaven, not the economy in which we live.  That is important for us to know.  There are a lot of inequities in the world in which we live. Jesus is telling us that those inequities will disappear when we come into his kingdom, even if we don’t think that it is fair that the least who are among us are treated as we are. 

            That is a beautiful description of God’s kingdom, where love is the predominant feature.  It is love that we are taught needs to be the foundation of our world also.  When we love, we learn to forgive and to accept our differences.  Ultimately this results in our learning from each other, not constantly arguing.  If we can learn this, wars will cease and our economies will prosper and all of us will live lives that make much more sense that then ones that we are living now.  That is what Jesus is trying to teach to both his apostles and the crowds that come to hear him.  He gathered up all of the hatred in the world, went to Jerusalem and presented himself to the authorities, who arrested him, handed him over to Pilate who ordered him to be whipped and crucified.  God’s response to this incredible demonstration of hatred was the incredible love of Jesus’ resurrection.  That is the message that we need to hold in our hearts as the essence of our religion.  To learn to love above all things is the way of life that our God gives us.  When we learn this, our world will drastically change.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment