Sunday, June 4, 2017

Compassion and Justice

            Before I went to seminary, I was given a book by a theologian, whose name I can’t remember.  After reading several chapters, I decided that the book was incomprehensible to me at that moment and I put it down.  I hoped that I would find something more credible as I pursued my studies.  I certainly did.  I had Charles Price as my teacher of theology at Virginia Seminary.  His lectures were always inspiring and helped me to understand the complexity of the relationship that humans have with God.  I remember that when Dr. Price delivered his final lecture that the class responded with a standing ovation.  He taught me to love and value theology.

            While I was learning in seminary, I was introduced to a number of authors whose work has continued to be a welcome part of my reading.  One of those is Marcus Borg, who died a couple of years ago, but who left a long list of impressive works and who has shaped my faith and my understanding of the way that God has interacted with humanity and with me over the years.

            Marcus Borg in his writing about Christianity speaks of two elements that Jesus constantly showed to the world with his life and ministry.  These are compassion and justice. By justice, he doesn’t mean criminal justice, but social justice; the effort to insure that everyone is fairly treated by the culture.  When I look at the life of Jesus, these were his constant driving concerns.  Every time that he found someone in need, his response was to care and to help.  He gave sight back to the man born blind even though the chief priests and the Pharisees denounced him for it.  He raised Lazarus from the dead, even though his own grief at his friend’s death caused him to weep at the grave.   

            When we were in San Diego recently, I bought Marcus Borg’s final book Days of Awe and Wonder.  It is a collection of his wonderful writings along with a copy of the eulogy that The Rev. Barbara Brown Taylor delivered at his funeral.  He has always been my favorite theologian.  He speaks of Jesus and his life and ministry in simple, easily understood ways.  He has helped my education immensely.  He is a Scandinavian, born and raised in North Dakota.  He became the Canon theologian at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Portland, Oregon where his wife serves as a priest.  His book again lays out his view of Christianity as being about compassion and social justice. He means by this not only caring for the poor and the outcast, but also for the planet.  Environmental efforts are also needed if we are going to extend and practice our faith. 

            Borg helps us to understand the other religions in this world.  He helps us to see how it is that Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist doctrine are also ways that God has chosen to enter this world and our lives.  His writings can help us with our prejudices and give us welcome companionship with those of other faiths who are also trying to understand how our relationship with God helps us to understand this world and its complexity.   I am always gratified when I see cooperation between religious bodies.  Our work isn’t all that different.  Our religion is God’s way to help us to understand mission as our common work.  I certainly don’t care if the missions in our city are run by Episcopalians, Methodists, Jewish or Muslim groups.  The important thing is that the work gets done.  Every parish has its outreach efforts.  When these efforts are combined with other people doing much the same thing, great strides are made in making lives better across the board. 

            My pastoral work is always involved with the needs that people have.  I have taken communion to many individuals who couldn’t make it to church because they were sick.  I know that it helps them when I do that.  It also has the effect of binding the community closer together.  We aren’t just a congregation who gather to worship; we are a community who cares for each other.  That is how religion works in our common life.

            Borg’s work has made a profound difference in my ministry and in my life.  I thank God for his wisdom and his remarkable ability to pass it on to the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment