Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Inconvenience of Temptation

            When I was in my second year at seminary, our daughter needed to go to her high school for an event.  The night was a Wednesday and the seminary always had a midweek service on that night.  I wasn’t able to go, so my daughter and I got in the car and I drove her to her high school. I wasn’t particularly happy about that.  I really wanted to go to the service. On the way to the high school, we passed the seminary chapel where the service was in progress.  They were reciting the creed.  I heard them saying: We believe in God, the Father Almighty and in Jesus Christ, his only Son our Lord.  All of a sudden, I understood the implication of those words and I felt immediately connected to that congregation.  The “we” included me and my daughter and my wife and all of us who although not attending that service, were a part of the faith.  I have always remembered that moment as a time of connection, a connection of my God to my life. My reluctance to take my daughter where she needed to go disappeared and I was again connected to my family, my seminary and my life.

            Life happens, as they say.  We need to do what is required of us, even if it is sometimes inconvenient.  Jesus returned from the Jordan River where he had been baptized by John the Baptist and was immediately led by the Spirit into the wilderness where he was tempted by the devil for forty days.  This wasn’t particularly convenient for him.  Listening to the devil and his temptations must have been a harrowing experience.  But it was a very human experience.  You and I are tempted constantly.  Sometimes we give in to those temptations and fall into sin.  That also isn’t particularly convenient for us because sin has consequences.  We also don’t always like the consequences.  This season of Lent is a time for us to take stock of our lives and try to get back in tune with what our God has in mind for us. 

            The thing about Jesus’ temptations is that they were all things that he needed very much.  The devil knew that he was hungry, so he suggested to Jesus that he use his power to turn some of the stones into bread so that he could eat.  Jesus told him: One does not live by bread alone.
He then took our Lord to the top of a mountain and showed him all of the cities of the world.  He told Jesus that all of these would he give to him, if only Jesus would worship him.  Jesus answered him: Worship the Lord your God and serve only him. The last temptation was to take Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple and suggest that he throw himself down from the height and then quoted Psalm 91 to him: that God would put angels in charge over him lest he strike his foot against a stone. Jesus said to him: Do not put the Lord your God to the test. The scripture says, having finished his tests, the devil departed from him until an opportune time.

            Nicholas Kazantzakis used this moment in Jesus life as the inspiration for a book called The Last Temptation of Christ which was made into a great movie.  In this story, Jesus is on the cross and is visited by a small girl who suggests that he can come down from the cross and live a normal life.  Jesus almost in a trance because of the pain of the cross agrees, goes back to Bethany where he marries Mary, has some children and begins to live normally.  He encounters Paul who says to Jesus, I really didn’t need you.  I could have done everything by myself.  All of a sudden, Jesus wakes up, back on the cross, still in pain, but knowing that his destiny is to be exactly where he is.  He suffers his death for all of humankind and after three days, he rises from the tomb and provides for all of us the proof of eternal life that God has promised to us all.

            That is what this season of Lent is all about.  We are not the Son of God.  We are not immune from the temptations that come our way.  What we do have is God’s promise to us to forgive our sins and to receive us back, even when we have strayed.  That is the certainty that we can always rely on, even when we have reached the bottom.  Jesus came to us not to make us perfect, but to help us in our humanity.  That is what we all so desperately need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment